AURYXIA (ah-RICKS-ee-ah) is a prescription medicine that can lower the amount of phosphate in the blood for adults with chronic kidney disease (CKD) who are on dialysis. Learn more about how AURYXIA works.
Frequently Asked Questions
AURYXIA contains iron. Keep it away from children to prevent an accidental ingestion of iron and potentially fatal poisoning. Call a poison control center or your healthcare provider if a child swallows AURYXIA.
AURYXIA can increase iron levels in your blood. Iron absorbed from AURYXIA may also increase iron in your body. Your healthcare provider will monitor your iron levels. If you are receiving intravenous (IV) iron, your IV iron dose may be adjusted or discontinued by your healthcare provider. Learn more about taking AURYXIA.
The most common side effects of AURYXIA, when it is used to lower phosphorus in the blood for adult patients with CKD on dialysis, include:
AURYXIA contains iron and may cause dark stools, which are considered normal with oral medications containing iron.
For more information ask your healthcare provider or pharmacist.
Tell your healthcare provider if you have any side effect that bothers you or that does not go away.
Call your healthcare provider for medical advice about side effects.
You may report suspected side effects to Akebia Therapeutics, Inc. at 1-844-445-3799 or FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 or www.fda.gov/medwatch.
Learn more about AURYXIA side effects.
When your kidneys are healthy, they know how much phosphorus your body needs and are able to remove the extra phosphorus that is ingested from the foods you eat. When you have CKD, your kidneys don’t work as well at removing phosphorus on their own. As a result, phosphorus levels in the blood rise. When your phosphorus levels are too high, you develop hyperphosphatemia (high phosphorus).
If you have hyperphosphatemia and CKD and are on dialysis, the goal should be getting your phosphorus levels towards a normal range. Learn more about living with hyperphosphatemia.
When you take AURYXIA with meals, the iron in AURYXIA binds (attaches) to the phosphate that was in your food. The bound iron then carries that phosphate to your colon, where it is removed through your bowel movements. This helps to lower the amount of phosphorus in your blood. Learn more about how AURYXIA works.
Do not take AURYXIA if you have been diagnosed with an iron overload syndrome, such as hemochromatosis.
Learn more about how AURYXIA works.
AURYXIA may not be right for you. Before starting AURYXIA, tell your healthcare provider if you:
- Have any other medical conditions
- Are pregnant, plan to become pregnant, are breastfeeding, or plan to breastfeed
Tell your healthcare provider about all of the medicines you take, including:
- The antibiotics doxycycline or ciprofloxacin
- Prescription and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements
Know the medicines you take. Keep a list of them and show it to your healthcare provider and pharmacist when you get a new medicine. Learn more about talking with your doctor.
- Tell your healthcare provider if you have any side effect that bothers you or that does not go away
- Call your healthcare provider for medical advice about side effects
You may report side effects to Akebia Therapeutics, Inc. at 1-844-445-3799 or FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 or www.fda.gov/medwatch
- Let your healthcare provider know if you start a new medication. It may affect your AURYXIA treatment
Learn more about talking with your doctor.
- Take AURYXIA exactly as prescribed by your healthcare provider
- Take AURYXIA with meals and adhere to any diet prescribed by your healthcare provider
- Your healthcare provider will tell you how much AURYXIA to take and may change your dose if necessary
- AURYXIA should only be swallowed, not chewed or crushed, because it may cause discoloration of your mouth and teeth
- If you are taking the antibiotics doxycycline or ciprofloxacin, you will need to take it separately from AURYXIA. Take doxycycline at least 1 hour before AURYXIA. Take ciprofloxacin at least 2 hours before or after AURYXIA
- Keep AURYXIA out of the reach of children
- Store AURYXIA between 68° to 77°F (20° to 25°C)
- Keep AURYXIA tablets dry